Google defines creativity as the use of imagination or original ideas to create something. It is inventiveness, innovation, originality and individuality.
Within the context of social media, I define it as the ability to find humour in the mundane, brilliance in the basic and hilarity in happenstance.
Creativity is sheer talent and intellect applied to social media. It is what memes thrive on.
It is the ability to reproduce a snippet of everyday culture in video, graphic or text like this video from Our Own Area.
Creativity is what takes an obscure personality to the heights of social media stardom. It is that which makes us laugh and the reason we come to social media in the middle of the day to take a break from life.
Creativity is what makes social media campaigns sparkle like this Air New Zealand safety video.
Creativity is hard work. It is what makes campaigns memorable.
To apply creativity to social media, here are some tips:
1. Read, watch and listen to what you’re not used to. It will spark new ideas.
2. Keep smart people around you. They will bring out the best in you. If you’re a manager, hire the best.
3. Attend conferences and demos where the best ideas are shared.
4. Keep a notebook, recorder and camera handy. You never know when inspiration will strike.
5. Whenever you produce social media content, ask yourself – what is it about this that’s different?
6. Don’t be afraid to be a fool or to fall flat on your face. It comes with the territory.
7. Create often – Creativity is a muscle. It gets stronger with use.
8. Keep a content creation calendar. It will help you develop discipline.
9. Research the world’s most creative campaigns. The US Superbowl season produces many of them.
Learn from other campaigns. Draw parallels and applications. And by all means, share yours too.
I wish you success on your social media journey.