Do you run or work in a creative company? Here are 10 core attributes I’ve developed to describe a creative organisation. You should rate your enterprise on each point.
1. A creative company is a hotbed of ideas. It’s at the edge of the innovation curve. It consistently creates and develops new content.
2. A creative company develops the leadership capacity of its staff while bringing in fresh blood; people younger and smarter than the veterans.
3. A creative company ensures that hard-nosed business types are on its payroll. It courts pragmatics who sell ideas and products for optimal profits. It employs bean counters who ensure projects don’t run over budget and overheads are kept low.
4. A creative company has a sustainable business model. There is a clear path to profit.
5. A creative company encourages continuous learning; placing a premium on training and skills acquisition.
6. A creative company does not stifle innovation with lack and strife. It ensures staff are well paid and provided the necessary tools to work with.
7. A creative company recognises the invaluable roles of competition & challenges in bringing out the best in staff. It pushes staff hard and demands more.
8. A creative company knows the best talents need a purpose beyond profit. It offers them that purpose.
9. A creative company provides a path to ownership; rewarding faithful staff for their contributions.
10. A creative company leaves behind a legacy of great products, systems and people.